Monitoring and Protection System E16x342 for highest safety requirements up to SIL3
The BRAUN High Safety Protection System Series E16x342 is TÜV certified for SIL3 acc. IEC 61508:2010 and is API 670 Ed.5 and API 612 Ed.7 compliant. It provides protection against overspeed and detects reverse direction. Also up to six other trip criteria such as emergency stop, boiler protection, etc. can be included in the trip string.
Due to its globally unique and true 2oo3 architecture, the system will tolerate one faulty signal within each trip criterion without trip being released.
The TMR (Triple Modular Redundancy) design ensures highest safety and availability for the monitored machine, i.e. the system will bring the machine into a safe state once it has reached a critical condition.
The E16 Protection System consists of three Monitors E1667 for the evaluation of speed and external trip signals, one Test Interface E1691, and a system backplane; all mounted into a 19” rack.
The E16 Protection System permanently monitors the speed sensors for their correct function. During its useful lifetime of 20 years, the system does not require any external proof tests. It is completely maintenance-free and therefore has minimized TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).
All active components (including the trip relays) are directly located on the Monitors and thus can be replaced during operation. The protection system offers in total six 2oo3 Trip Outputs, thereof three for a solenoid trip block and three for other purposes.
- SIL3 / IEC 61508:2010 certified
- API 670 Ed.5 compliant
- API 612 Ed.7 compliant
- Total Response Time to Trip < 15 ms
- Useful Lifetime and Proof Test Interval = 20 years
- Triple speed measurement and monitoring by each Monitor
- Variable Overspeed setpoint depending on the acceleration
- Direction detection
- Evaluation of external Trip Criteria signals by up to 6 voters per Monitor
- All Trip Outputs formed with safety relay contacts in 2oo3 technique
- Trip Output Monitoring to the solenoid with Trip-Lock
- Up to 5 additional speed setpoints in 2oo3 technique
- Sensor signal repeater outputs, free-floating, and push/pull
- Remote test of solenoid trip block by test signals from DCS possible
- The only protection system worldwide where all relays or other active components are located on the Monitors
- 1 PROFIBUS Interface
- Maintenance-free during Lifetime, therefore minimized TCO
- Highest safety at maximum availability due to true 2oo3 architecture for each trip criterion within each Monitor
- Very low PFD value (Probability of Failure on Demand), less than 8% of allowable value for a SIL3 loop
- Replacement of all active components during operation possible (hot-swap and highest availability)